Saturday, September 6, 2014

DIY Easy Disney Sundress

This dress was so simple I feel guilty saying I made it! But I did, and even if you are in the straight line sewing program, you could do this too.

The secret is that it's almost already done for you. JoAnn's has several of these fabrics with licensed characters on them, perfect for your Disney obsessed little girl! Since we refer to our daughter her on the blog as Minnie, I immediately fell in love with this print for her. I also love the everything-old-is-new-again styling of the new Mickey Mouse shorts airing on Disney. This Minnie print is from those same cartoons. Perfect!

I also love that this will be a cool (as in temperatures) dress for our Minnie to wear in the Florida heat of Walt Disney World. Even October can get oppressive there. So this was a win in that department as well!

As for the how to, all you need is to measure around the chest of the little (or big) person who will be wearing it. This fabric is sold by the inch, so you really want to have a good idea of how much you need. I tend to over buy fabrics sold by the yard, but this isn't the sort of fabric you can use up in another project very easily. Since it is stretchy, you want to by the same inches of fabric as was measured around the chest. Once you sew a straight line seam (I used a 5/8" seam) it's a perfect fit around the body!

To make things even simpler, I used bias tape for the straps. I simply used another dress that Minnie is currently wearing to measure the length of the straps. This was there was no wiggly little girl to try and measure! I sewed down each strap on one side to close it (as bias tape is folded on itself), tacked them in and the whole thing was done in a flash! Seriously, this was so satisfying! Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment