Saturday, April 12, 2014

DIY Dumbo Inspired Knitted Socks

Even though we are finally finding our way to warmer weather, I'm still knitting cozy Disney inspired socks. Some of my best knitting time is on a road trip while the littles are buckled into their seats with no where to go! These adorable Dumbo inspired socks were knit on our recent road trip to Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. I love them so much, but this particular pair was a sock knitting adventure for me!

I had never attempted toe-up socks prior to knitting these. I always knit mine from the cuff down, simply because that's how I learned to do it. But when I saw this super cute pattern from Urki Gurki (I know, don't you love it??), I knew it was time to learn how to knit a toe-up sock. After all, I knew how to do it the other way; how hard could it be? And for the most part, it was pretty simple.

The pattern was easy to follow, the two-color knitting was easy enough to do, but the heel. OH! the heel! I knit, ripped out and re-knit that heel four times! I finally managed to get it knit because I needed these Dumbo socks in my life. Who wouldn't? But don't ask me to knit a pair for you because these socks are going in the looky-what-I-did-hall-of-fame, never to be knit again! Well, maybe not never; I think I'll try a different, (ahem, less complicated!) toe-up pattern next time, just to get the hang of this type of heel. Maybe then I could conquer these socks again. We'll see. For now, I'm just thrilled they are off the needles and in the sock drawer! Knitting these socks for a full month had me dreaming about them. Time for something much less complicated.

If you want all the knitty-gritty details on these socks and how I knit them, you can check out my ravelry page. You can also find the pattern there. Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment