Tuesday, April 1, 2014

DIY Disney | The Grey Stuff from Be Our Guest

We are always up for a little bit of sweetness in the cottage! Little Chef is a big fan of chocolate pudding and Oreos, so I thought trying The Grey Stuff from Disney's Be Our Guest Restaurant would be right up his alley. (For those of you who don't know, it's essentially a cookies and cream mousse.) It was indeed! Although truth be told, he almost always likes the making of things much more than the eating. Go figure! I can't say I fit that bill. I'm much more about the eating!

Making this was really easy, and if you follow the recipe at The Disney Diner, it would be even easier! As our regular readers will know, we are all about using homemade ingredients as we have food allergies to contend with (nuts, peanuts and synthetic food dyes). Here is the original ingredient list:


  • 1 (3.4 ounce) pkg Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
  • 1 1/2 cups Whole (or 2%) Milk
  • 15 Oreos (regular, not double-stuffed)
  • 1 (8 ounce) tub Whipped Topping
  • 3 tablespoons Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
  • Edible Pearl Sprinkles

Instead of the instant pudding (which often has synthetic dyes), I made mine from scratch (with the expertise of Mr. Photos From The Parks) using the Joy of Cooking recipe for cornstarch pudding. Oreos are safe for us, but we don't like Whipped Topping (too many chemicals), so we just whipped up some heavy whipping cream until if formed stiff peaks. I think next time we'll add a touch of rum or Grand Marnier! We omitted the instant chocolate pudding altogether and I was able to find some edible pearls from HomeGoods that were safe for us too! (By the way, I love shopping the food aisles at HomeGoods. I can almost always find some organic goodies to bring home!)

I tried piping the mousse onto plates, but as Doc said, it looked like poop! So instead, we decided to serve it in these martini glasses. It was a MUCH more appetizing choice! I think an Oreo propped up in it would have been just perfect for a dinner party! And it tasted out of this world! It was a really fun treat to put in lunch boxes this week. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend doing so. You should try it, it's delicious! And such an easy way to bring a touch of Disney magic to your home.

Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried Grey Stuff but I like your recipe. I'm a fan of made from scratch desserts and this one sounds easy and delicious. My favorite chocolate pudding recipe is from the Flour cookbook by Joanne Chang.

    ReplyDelete