Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Disney Park Map Candle

Here's another idea for all you Disney Park Map collectors out there! This one would be a great project for gifting to Disney lovers as well!

I started with Mod Podge, a map of the Magic Kingdom, and a 2.5" x 5" pillar candle. I trimmed the map so that just a bit of Splash Mountain was cut off and just a bit of Space Mountain was cut off. I also cut off the bottom part of the map just below the hub. You could, of course, trim the map so it showcases whatever you'd like. I wanted to be sure to get all of Fantasyland on mine. I then tore the top edge of the map to give it some interest. After I had the map just as I wanted it, I sanded the back side of it with fine grit sandpaper, just to rough it up and make sure the Mod Podge would soak into it a bit.

I put Mod Podge on the back of the map and slowly smoothed it onto the candle. This was tricky and I had several areas with wrinkles. I did the best I could to smooth them out, but a few remained. If you need it to be really smooth, you will need to have more than just a few minutes to make that happen. (Let the record show that I did not have more than 5 minutes!) And I might recommend starting with the area you want to have facing out, and working toward the edges of the map as you smooth it down. At least the main area you want showing will be nice and smooth. Still, I am quite happy with the resulting project. It will look lovely on the mantle.

Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment