Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sitting With Grandmother Willow: Jody Rice




As part of our on-going series, Sitting with Grandmother Willow, I am happy to introduce Jody Rice, of Satsuma Street, an Etsy shop. This series of blog posts highlights artists and bloggers of all stripes with one thing in common: a passion for Disney! I hope you will enjoy getting to know Jody as much as I have. We definitely share a common love for Mary Blair! And be sure to visit her Etsy store for some unique It's A Small World/Mary Blair inspired items!






Disney by the numbers (with apologies to Harpers):
# of trips you have made: Too many to remember!  Probably at least 25 trips.


Date of first trip: I believe I was 3 years old.


Date of next trip: I'm planning on running in the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon in DL next year, so that will probably be the next time I get to the park.


# of Resorts stayed in: Just Disneyland! (and California Adventure)


Usual # in your travel party: Usually just me and two or three friends.


Pairs of mouse ears in your cottage: None!  I don't look good in hats. :(


WDW or Disneyland (or other): Disneyland


How do you usually travel to Disney? I live in Southern California, so always by car.


Do you have any tips for trips? Don't wait till the end of the night to do your gift shopping, the lines are always the worst then.


Do you have a favorite place to eat while in Disney? I love the Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney, and I never miss a chance to get some Dole Whip at the Tiki Room!


What is your absolute DON'T MISS attraction? I have to ride the Haunted Mansion, the Jungle Cruise, and Pirates of the Caribbean every time.


Stage shows, yes or no? Not usually, though I love the Golden Horseshoe Revue.


Parades, yes or no? Yes!


Best Fast Pass to get: Space Mountain, because that line is so boring.


Favorite park: Disneyland!


One piece of advice you'd give a novice about WDW/DL: Don't spend all your time running from one line to another.  Give yourself some time to sit on Main Street with an ice cream and just enjoy the atmosphere.


How do you crate extra magic for your family? We do a lot of singing and dancing in the kitchen.  Whistle while you work!


Tell us about your Etsy shop: My etsy shop is SatsumaStreet, and I sell modern and colorful counted cross stitch patterns.  Many of my designs are influenced by the great Disney concept artist, Mary Blair.  I love Mary Blair's work because it still looks modern and fresh today, and appeals to people of all ages.  I try to capture that same quality in my designs, and offer patterns that stitchers will still want to display in their homes many years from now.  I call my designs "Cross Stitch for Happy People", because I think crafting should be a happy experience and bring people joy when they're done!


How can we connect with you?
Etsy: satsumastreet.etsy.com

Email: satsumastreet@gmail.com
Facebookwww.facebook.com/SatsumaStreet
Instagram: instagram.com/craftnik
Tumblr: satsumastreet.tumblr.com

1 comment:

  1. LOVE her work! I am currently working on Pretty Little Paris and the above pictured Pretty Little City is next!

    <3

    ReplyDelete